July 21, 2007

Splish, splash he was taking a bath

I emerge from the upstairs bathroom looking like a wet duck. My hair is dripping, my makeup is ruined, and water is running down my arms and legs. I fling the wet hair out of my eyes and carry Little Duckling on my arm: a soft bundle of squeaky-cleanness, sporting a fresh face with eyelashes still dripping. His hair smells of Johnson & Johnson bubbles. A smile of contentment rests on his lips as if he had just done a job, and done it well. Why the smile? He just finished BATHING in the BIG TUB. And no, I did not bathe with him. Not this time. Although, looking down at my soppy clothes, I now wish I had.

This bath in the big tub in no way resembled the peaceful, quiet bath time we had shared during Caleb’s early months - back when he was using the baby tub and was a bit apprehensive of the water.

All apprehension officially flew out the window with this bath. I watched him splish and splash, and splish and splash some more. The child’s left arm never did stop. With forceful, sweeping motions, he repeatedly dropped his arm into the water about a hundred times a minute. Not that I had time to count. The right arm did not rest either: it joined in on the fun with almost the same forcefulness as the left. Did water get in his eyes (and nose and mouth)? Oh, yes! Did he seem to care? Not one bit.

I guess, in the past few weeks, he has gotten very familiar with water. He’s been in a lake; he’s been in a pool. He has taken big bathtub baths with Mommy and has even taken showers with each of us. He figures, he KNOWS WATER.

(And while he was thinking he knew water, I did all I could to steady him, and foil his attempts at plunging headfirst INTO the water.)

So... you wonder where the pictures are. My friend, if you had seen what went on in there, you wouldn’t be asking me about the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails