July 15, 2007

Sitting (fairly well) and crawling (sort of)

Mom, are you talking about me?



I just wanted to report on a couple of developmental milestones Caleb has reached lately. As you’ve seen from my exciting photos, he is now able to sit by himself fairly well. He can’t sit up on his own yet, but when I put him in the sitting position, he can hold that position for a good while. He also puts his arm out to steady himself or to keep from falling over. He eventually does fall over, but for the most part, he has learned how to fall without hurting himself. Though I still hear a head knock here and there... (Sometimes, I put the Boppy behind him, so he won’t fall straight back.)
He is also practicing the beginnings of a crawl! He scoots himself across the floor, putting one bent elbow in front of the other, drawing up the knees and pushing off with the feet. He gets himself to where he wants to be, so for all intents and purposes, it is sort of a crawl, but it is not the classic version of it. It is more like the beginnings of an army crawl. He still gets tired fast and tends to get frustrated if the object he wants is more than a foot away. I try to encourage him to crawl farther by putting his toys out of reach. If he really wants something, he goes and gets it. I’ve turned around to find him at the other end of a small room, so I know that he can do it.

As I understand, some babies never do the classic (normal) crawl, others graduate from the army crawl to the normal crawl, and others skip crawling altogether. When our pediatrician saw how Caleb could stand on his own two legs, holding on only for balance, she thought that he might skip crawling and be an early walker. I’m glad though that he is doing this army crawl. It prepares me for the next stage: the normal (where did he go?) crawl and/or THE WALKING! Yikes!! We SERIOUSLY need to babyproof our house! NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails