April 30, 2009

Triple Nut Salad - from Mama's kitchen


This was the way I spent last Friday night, in front of my computer working, which is more the standard for me, rather than the unusual. The highlight of that night was the wonderful salad I prepared for dinner after Caleb was in bed, which supplied much needed energy for my work night.


It is your lucky day, for I will now share this salad with you. I have named this salad the Triple Nut Salad, and I can do that, since this salad is my very own creation (down to the dressing). I would say this is my absolute favorite salad of all time. (No, I am not being dramatic, not at all.)

First, you want to start with the best salad greens God made on earth - the arugula. A few years ago, when I came upon these salad greens, my jaw dropped and I said "Where have you been all my life?" Some people may think that arugula is bitter, but I would challenge that, especially if you follow this recipe to make a salad out of it.

So, you take arugula, add sweet cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, a couple of slices of onions, and whatever other veggie thrills your heart (or is on hand) in a salad. Next, you hard-boil a couple of eggs (I like the yolk to be just a tiny bit soft, not too dry), you cut that up, add to your salad. I like to sprinkle a bit of salt on the eggs. (And if you can, please use organic free-range eggs, they are much higher in nutrients like Omega 3 than the emaciated eggs from cooped up, lifeless chickens.)

Next comes one of the most important ingredients of a good salad: the NUTS. One should never eat a salad without nuts. One should always have several kinds of nuts around the house. They are highly nutritious and just a small amount goes a long way.

In this salad, I have chosen the following three nuts: pine nuts, walnuts, and slivered almonds. I usually sprinkle these generously, since this is the only protein along with the eggs that I will have for this dinner. This way the salad doesn't feel like an appetizer, but becomes a satisfying, complete meal all in itself.

And now, the frosting on the salad - the dressing. Take a mortar and pestle if you have one (otherwise just use a bowl) and smoosh one fresh garlic clove into a pulp. Chunks are not bothersome if you like garlic (and I hope you do, because it's very good for you). The point is to crush the fresh garlic so that it releases its active ingredient, allicin (an antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal miracle healing compound), as well as its flavor. Add a couple of pinches of sugar. This is an important step, this will tone down the balsamic vinegar and add a slight sweetness to the dressing, making it finger-licking good. Add some good quality extra virgin olive oil and some balsamic vinegar (I use Mazzetti Balsamic Vinegar of Modena). You can play around with the amounts to suit your taste, but generally you'll want more oil and just a little vinegar. I like a ratio of about 4:1 oil to vinegar. Mix all of this together with the pestle. Voila! Your salad dressing is ready. Pour over salad, making sure the crushed garlic and sugar at the bottom are also transferred to your plate. Enjoy your delicious, healthy meal that tastes as good (or better) than it looks.

You're very welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails