June 5, 2009

Busch Gardens

Once we were finished with business in Richmond, we headed down to Williamsburg, one of our favorite places to relax. We also wanted Caleb to experience Busch Gardens again this year before the baby came, since he really enjoyed it last year.

The Carousel - I had been telling him about this for a week, showing him pictures
from last year, so he knew he was going to ride the horses.
I went on the carousel with him many times while Daddy went on some big rides...
As I neglected to hand over my camera, you will not see any pictures of me riding with him.
In fact, you will not see any pictures of me, at all.

Then came the water play area that he really liked last year.

He started out holding my hand as we walked together,

but by the end, when Daddy joined us, he was balancing on his own

and jumping from stone to stone.



What's this he's showing me? WOW!

Caleb was obviously amazed at seeing the Griffon

swoosh above our heads.

We went on some of the same rides as last year.

I took him on the dragon egg ferris wheel

and Daddy rode the flying dragon with him.

Then, Caleb saw the tugboats and was begging to get on.

This is a ride on which adults cannot accompany the children. Daddy was hesitant,

but I talked him into it. Caleb enjoyed his freedom and did really well on this,

bouncing his head from left to right, singing to himself.

Our one concern was that without us there, he would try to get out.

But only once the ride stopped did that become an issue,

and as I yelled "Wait!" Daddy rushed to him just as he was lifting his foot

to step out of the boat - into the water. Yikes!


More alone rides followed.

The Ladybug ride. You can tell how he felt about that.



Making faces as he passes by and sees me taking his picture.

And on the swing.


This was clearly a winner as well.

Then, Daddy took Caleb on a bigger kid ride.

Oscar's Whirly Worms was fast! When I saw it, I thought he might get scared,

as it was the end of the day and he was quite tired.

But, no... He was laughing through it.

Daddy got bold and wanted to take Caleb on some other rides,

but I had to draw the line somewhere -

I thought he was a little too young for the rollercoaster and Prince Elmo's Spire.

These rides were all in the new Sesame Street Forest of Fun area,

and as a photographer, I should have been prepared for what was to come -

but I must say, I failed.

Caleb glimpsed Cookie Monster and Elmo.

He ran to them and gave them, especially Elmo, the most wonder-filled greeting,

saying "Oh, hi!" waving excitedly as he ran and freely gave Elmo a huge hug.

These pictures, taken afterwards, as the park photographers took their picture together

don't show any of his initial excitement.

He was so surprised

to see Elmo and Cookie for the first time in real life.

I wish I had captured the moment.



And how does a long day at the park end?

Coloring with Daddy at dinnertime, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails