January 15, 2008

Mama's Sick, Baby's Sad

Yesterday, I was sick with a bad food poisoning (rare this is, for I haven't had one in over 10 years!). There was lots of throwing up and whatnot. I will spare you the gory details. The only reason I think this is worth mentioning is to note Caleb's reaction to it.

The poor child. He didn't know what was wrong with Mama, only that I was not my usual jolly self. I was laying down all day and barely paying attention to him. Thankfully, Daddy was around to take care of him, yet he was obviously disturbed by my absence. (I tried to be in the same room, so I was present in person, but very absent in spirit.) It was remarkable, how this affected Caleb. He was so cranky all day, wailing loudly at the littlest things. All he wanted was his mommy. At times, I tried to lay down on the floor next to him, to comfort him, and he would scoot himself all the way up to me, trying to get close to me, to comfort me. He knew that something was wrong with me, and not only did he miss me, but it made him sad.

We slept a 12-hour dead men's sleep last night. This morning, all is well. Mama and thus Caleb are back to their cheerful selves. I was feeding him this morning and he kept hugging me, then patting me, as if to say, "Good, you're back!" What a sweet child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails